The Baker Linen Building was built in 1916 as the new headquarters for the Seattle Automotive Company. Sonke Sonnichsen, an architect from Norway, designed the building for Mary Liebeck, a German immigrant who was an active developer and investor in real estate in Seattle in the early 1900's.
The building had several different auto-oriented tenants until the 1940's when its use was transitioned from automotive to garment manufacturing. Between 1953 and 1983 the building was occupied by its longest-running tenant and namesake, the H.W. Baker Linen Company.