THE CLOUD ROOM AND CITY ARTS MAGAZINE SET TO UNVEIL NEW ART INSTALLATION, GHOST CABIN, WITHIN CHOPHOUSE ROW COURTYARD ON SATURDAY, AUGUST FOURTH
The “Ghost Cabin” festivities will begin with a live chainsaw art performance followed by music and arts programming
The official unveiling of “Ghost Cabin,” a new art installation within the Chophouse Row courtyard. by award-winning local architects SHED Architecture & Design. Festivities will kick off with a live chainsaw art performance by Tomas Vrba at 2 pm, followed by music and arts programming from 5-10 pm. The unveiling event will include a participatory ritual to inaugurate the Ghost Cabin, words from the team responsible for the piece (SHED, Greg Lundgren of Vital5 Productions, and Cloud Room owner Liz Dunn) and a roster of live music on the Ghost Cabin stage. In addition, a vinyl DJ set with a special guest will perform in The Cloud Room Lounge, along with art film projections in the courtyard by Northwest Film Forum.
The Cloud Room, a shared workspace, cultural venue, lounge and bar located in the heart of Capitol Hill, is co-hosting the event with City Arts Magazine, who recently announced The Cloud Room space as the organization’s newest headquarters. Attendees who buy City Arts memberships at the event will get a free beverage at the Cloud Room bar. Northwest Film Forum and ARCADE will also participate as arts sponsors.
In 2013, contractors discovered a crude concrete foundation outlining a small house below the basement of the Chophouse Row building. It was part of an original layer of pioneer settlement that had existed on this block, at least 20 feet below today’s grade, before the streets were raised and leveled in the early 1900s. The installation gives form to this frontier homestead, projecting the silhouette of a gable cabin onto the various surfaces of a courtyard corner and then applying cedar wood planks within the artwork boundary. Moving about the courtyard space, the angled outline of the installation becomes increasingly distorted, the original projected cabin unrecognizable. Yet, from a precise vantage point, the cedar planks come into alignment to reveal the gabled cabin, allowing the pioneer story to become visible to us through layers of eclectic history on this urban block of Seattle.
Events will begin at 2 p.m. on Saturday, August 4th. A complete schedule can be found here and will include music by kids’ band “7/8 Strings”, words from SHED, music performances by Yada Yada Blues Band and a vinyl DJ set with a special guest in the Cloud Room Lounge. The event runs concurrent to the Seattle Art Fair.
To receive additional details or to set up interviews with those involved either before, or during the event, please contact Sarah Mann at (206) 818-2429 or email@example.com.
Chophouse Row unveils Sunday dance parties, new outdoor art installation, and gears up for a jam-packed summer of programmed events
The Chophouse Row Stage, part of a new permanent outdoor art installation, will be the setting for a summer series of music, fashion, and art happenings
SEATTLE, Wash. (June 22, 2018) – Chophouse Row has announced its busiest summer calendar yet, and there is something in it for everyone.
- Sunday Funday Dance Party - Chophouse Row will host a courtyard dance party on three Sunday afternoons this summer: June 24th, July 29th, and August 26th from 3-7pm. Bask in the sunshine, enjoy food and drink, listen to tunes, bring family and friends, and DANCE your pants off. Food, beer and wine available from Bar Ferdinand and Good Weather Bicycle & Cafe, and award-winning ice cream from Kurt Farm Shop. DJ Sets - Suliman and Friends Spinning Tunes. All ages are welcome. FREE.
- This year, Chophouse Row and Capitol Hill Block Party are partnering to launch a Chophouse Row Stage for the first time ever. Programmed with a curated set of DJ’s throughout the weekend, this space is open to the public (enter from the 12th Ave side) as well as Block Party goers (enter through Block Party on the 11th Ave side). FREE.
- Outdoor Yoga will be located in the Chophouse Row Courtyard every Saturday, hosted by SweatBox. Join teacher Alyssa for an All Levels Vinyasa class, don’t forget your mat and water bottle. Every Saturday from June 30th – September 1st; 11:30-12:30pm. Pre-registration for this class is required.
- After a winter hiatus, Chophouse Row Night Market is back with more product than ever. Matt Dillon vends produce from Old Chaser Farm and is now offering handmade sausages, Hama Hama Oysters, and the infamous Plane Bread. Create a custom bouquet from Brita Fisher’s beautiful selection of seasonal island grown flowers. Wine tasting at Bar Ferdinand (5-7pm). Visit Night Market every Wednesday in the Chophouse Row courtyard from 4-8pm.
- Ghost Cabin Art Installation Grand Opening – Saturday August 4th. A collaboration between SHED Architecture, Greg Lundgren, and Plumb Level Square will be officially unveiled August 4th during a celebration from 5-9 pm hosted by City Arts, Northwest Film Forum, and Chophouse Row.
- Art Walk at Chophouse Row - Every second Thursday during Capitol Hill Art Walk, Chophouse Row hosts local artists selling their artworks and prints and live musical performances followed by a projection experience by Northwest Film Forum. July 12th, August 9th, and September 13th from 6-9 pm.
- The Chophouse Row Head to Toe fashion and beauty fair, August 18th 2-8pm, is curated by our style partners Cuniform. This event hosts an array of hair, skin, eye and, wardrobe experts who bring a sensibility and function to service and products. Pop in for a bang trim, shop wallet-friendly vintage and designer clothing, visit Chophouse Row boutiques including the Moo-Young Concept Shop, Honed and Sway & Cake, pick up a pair of new sunglasses, or get your brows waxed by Cake Skincare! Think of it as the summer’s one-stop-styling-shop; all of your needs in one place.
And to top it all off, in the category of “calendar as art”, a new installation by artist and muralist Meagan Lingerfelt, will be installed in early July as a central feature for posting events for both Chophouse Row and its affiliated workspace / culture club the Cloud Room, in a beautiful format that onsite residents and visitors can easily reference.
Address: Chophouse Row, 1424 11th Avenue Seattle, WA
Social: @ChophouseRow (Instagram and Facebook)
About Chophouse Row:
Chophouse Row is a center of food, fashion, beauty, design and art located in the heart of Capitol Hill. It features a collection of local and very talented growers, makers and purveyors of hand crafted goods, anchored by James Beard recognized chefs and lovingly designed nooks and crannies for grabbing a quick bite or glass of wine. Along with its partners from the arts, performance and music industries, Chophouse Row programs and hosts multiple events throughout the year, including artist openings, retail popups, beauty and fashion events, and numerous themed wine, food and holiday festivals. In the summer months, Chophouse Row’s courtyard is the venue for a pint-sized weekly farm and flower market and monthly live music and art walk events.